Monday, March 5, 2012

Getting to Know You...







You know the saying, "You are what you eat." I believe, too, that we are what we read, what we watch, what we listen to, who we hang out with, who are family is, where we are from, where we've been, and dreams that we have. That said, I wonder if you'd take a minute to jot down a few things that make up who you are.










Here's an I Am Poem I wrote several years ago, and it's about my childhood in Prairie Village. It was inspired by this old photo I found. (I'm the shorter girl, leaning over, petting the dog.)





I am from Hoola Hoops and Hop Scotch,
from chlorine and zinc oxide.
I am from bare feet that danced in puddles
of summer rain, sizzling steam off
Scorched sidewalks.

I am from Barbie dolls and tea parties,
from ten cent ice cream cones and long
walks with Freckles.
I am from put your napkin in your lap
and get your elbows off the table.
I am from straighten up and fly right and
don’t come down until your homework’s done.

I’m from rides to the Village on my bicycle,
flute lessons and swimming meets.
I am from the hum of Mother’s sewing machine
and matching Easter dresses.

I am from Jack and Harriett and Margie,
from memories of voices I can still hear
inside my head.
I am from Good Night, Sleep Tight
and Don’t get out of bed!





No comments:

Post a Comment